How does the Orlando Lasers Center diagnose acne?
To diagnose acne and prepare proper acne treatments, Dr. Blatnoy will first examine your skin to make sure you have acne. Other skin conditions can look like acne. If you have acne, the dermatologist will:
- Grade the acne. Grade 1 is mild acne. Grade 4 is severe acne.
- Note what type, or types, of acne appear on your skin.
How do dermatologists treat acne?
- If you are squeamish about blood, chances are you will prefer laser treatments for acne to microdermabrasion.
- Laser treatments remove scars and pigmentation by heating hemoglobin in the blood in capillaries beneath the skin.
- Heating blood vessels deprives upper layers of skin of oxygen and nutrients so they slough off, giving new healthy skin a chance to replace them.
- The darker your skin, the less likely laser treatment is to be successful.
- The more sensitive your skin, the less likely laser treatment is to be successful.
- Laser therapy always requires multiple visits and never gets rid of 100% of scars or pigmentation. A program of regular skin treatments such as Exposed Skin Care may complete the job started by laser therapy, at much lower cost.
When to see a dermatologist
If you have a lot of acne, cysts, or nodules, a medicine that you can buy without a prescription may not work. If you want to see clearer skin, you should see a dermatologist.